Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

Buffalo Stew

This recipe is one my favorites! My Mama always made beef roast and vegetables for lunch every Sunday, when I was a kid. She would then take all the leftovers and make a stew for dinner, and finish it off with a pan of homemade cornbread....Mmmmmm! But, since we are trying to be primal here, I'll leave off the cornbread. :)



During the Christmas season, someone gave us a Buffalo Chuck Roast. I decided to try it and cooked it in the crockpot, just like I would normally cook a beef roast(simmer all day, with one packet of onion soup mix and about 2 cups of water, and add chopped potatoes and carrots about 2 hours before serving).

It turned out great and everyone loved it, including my little mountain man, Caleb (who told me to be sure and thank the man who gave us the roast, when he came back into the office!)

There isn't really an ingredient list. Basically, you just dump everything back into the crockpot and add whatever veggies you like.

I chopped up the leftover meat and dumped it back into the stock that was left over in the crockpot. I then added what brown gravy was left over and diced up the remaining carrots and potatoes. I added one can of tomato sauce, one can of whole kernel corn (I know, I know. It's not a vegetable, it's a grain, but the men in the family have to have their corn. I just eat around it), and one can of green beans. I also added 2 beef bouillon cubes, and let it cook for a couple of hours on high.

Peas are great in this stew, as well as lima beans (my personal favorite!)

No comments:

Post a Comment